I just discovered this recipe. I was a little worried about it because of the addition of Strawberry syrup. I shouldn't have been! It was sooo good!
This recipe makes 6 sandwiches. I only made one. I have this picky hubby who refuses to eat any breakfast foods combined with any others...
Breakfast for dinner: Monte Cristo Sandwiches
From: Betty Crocker Quick & Easy Cookbook
Traditionally a French style grilled ham and cheese sandwich that has been dipped into a beaten egg mixture and fried in butter.
12 slices French bread, 1/2 inch thick. (or, how ever many slices you need! If you need more, make sure to make more of the egg mixture)
1/4 lb shaved or very thinly sliced cooked ham
3 slices Gruyere or Swiss cheese, cut in half (I actually used Provolone)
1/2 cup milk
2 TB sugar
1 TB butter or margarine (Or oil cooking spray)
Powdered sugar, if desired
3/4 cup Strawberry syrup or jam (Don't let this scare you! It's very good!)
** Make sure that you have all the ingredients at hand and ready to go before starting. Once you start, this dish goes quickly!
1. In a large skillet, heat butter, margarine or cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, beat eggs, milk, and sugar with fork or wire whisk until well mixed; pour into shallow bowl.
3. Dip each bread slice in the egg mixture, allowing time for the bread to soak up the mixture. Add bread to skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
4. After cooking the first side of the bread, and flipping, layer cheese and ham on top of the bread. Place a finished bread on top, and remove from skillet to plate.
5. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with Strawberry syrup or jam.
Eat while still hot!