Thick Beef Curry in Sweet Peanut Sauce
2 1/2 cups coconut milk (that's 1 1/2 cans-use the remaining to cook your rice in!)
3 TB red curry paste (Cheaper at an Oriental store)
3 TB fish sauce
2 TB light brown sugar
2 lemon grass stalks, bruised ("bruising" caused by hitting the stalks with the back of a knife or kitchen mallet helps to break the stalk up, and the juice to come out easier)
1 lb Rump round steak or Flank Steak, cut into thin strips and cooked
3/4 cups ground peanuts (I actually leave them whole! Gives the meal some texture.)
2 fresh red chilies, sliced (or 1 TB dried)
5 kaffir lime leaves, torn
salt and ground black pepper
10 Thai basil leaves to garnish
1. Pour half the coconut milk into a large, heavy pan. Place over a medium heat, and bring to boil, stirring constantly until the milk separates.
2. Stir in the red curry paste and cook for 2-3 minutes until the mixture is fragrant and thoroughly blended. Add the fish sauce, sugar, and the lemon grass stalks. Mix well.
3. Continue to cook until the color deepens.
4. Start your Rice. I use the extra coconut milk in place of water.
5. Gradually add the remaining coconut milk, stirring constantly. Bring back to a boil.
6.. Add the cooked beef and peanuts. Cook, stirring constantly, for 8-10 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
7. Add the chilies and lime leaves. Season to taste and serve, garnished with the basil leaves.
The best part of this meal is that it is a meal all by itself. You can add some steamed veggies for a yummy side dish!